Sunday, April 1, 2012

"If it's time to go, remember what you're leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me."

- Doctor Who*

The vast majority of January and February this year were not particularly fun for me. But then I had a triumphant birthday and the vast majority of March was pretty damn awesome. Until about the middle of this past week.

You used to be able to tell when things got really bad at my old job, because I would announce, "I hate my job. I hate my life. I'm going to go live in a cave."

It's been a long time since I've felt all of those things simultaneously, but I was feeling all of those things PLUS A LOT MORE for the last severalish days. I stayed inside all day yesterday. Today, after running some errands, I went to finally do the laundry that I've been putting off. Except, I walked into the Laundromat and there wasn't a single free washer. And I almost started crying. Seriously. (I took this as a sign that I needed to a. go home and b. finish watching the most recent episodes of Doctor Who on Netflix because I clearly needed to be way far away from people.)

And then I got a text from Emer that she had updated the red notebook blog. LIKE MAGIC (I kid you not), everything felt better. "When we're connected to others, we become better people" -- yet another of the many lessons I seem to have to learn over and over and over again. 





* I feel like I should confess that I only started watching Doctor Who last year, after I saw Neil Gaiman speak in New Hampshire, and I've only watched the episodes in the newer series that began in 2005. I feel like I should also state that I really, intensely dislike the current doctor. He just annoys the crap out of me. BUT, I think the stories in the episodes since he became doctor are probably the best in the newer series. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment