Thursday, April 4, 2013

"There are melodies that speak as eloquently as words, that flow logically and inevitably from a single, pure emotion."

- Rachel Hartman, Seraphina

(That was a really, really good book, by the way.)

I keep getting the song "We Are Young" by fun. stuck in my head. It's a catchy tune. Even the (very attractive) hygienist who cleaned my teeth couldn't help singing along a little when it came on.

But this song is pretty much the antithesis of the title quote. And I don't want to like it. Here's why: In the first verse, the POV character says that some guy is asking his girlfriend about a scar and then goes on to say: "I know I gave it to you months ago / I know you're trying to forget / but between the drinks and subtle things / the holes in my apologies / you know I'm trying hard to take it back."

Um, really?

I guess it's possible a guy could accidentally scar his girlfriend, but if that's the case, you'd think there wouldn't be any holes in his apologies. You'd think he'd feel pretty damn terrible. So, the only conclusion I can draw here is that there's some kind of abuse going on, and it just doesn't seem okay to like a song about that.

(It's worth mentioning that the whole idea of carrying this girl home could be a lot less than chivalrous, especially given the context.)

I think in pictures (a fact some people abuse). As much as I'd like to say I feel in words, I think that's not true -- I think words are how I understand things, including the things I feel. The truth is, the only thing I've ever encountered that can skip my brain entirely and go straight to my heart is music.

...And maybe that's why it bugs me that I can't think my way out of liking this song.


No comments:

Post a Comment