I'm still in close contact with my high school journalism teacher, who is one of my top five favorite people on the planet. About a dozen years ago, she gave me a copy of the book
Stargirl, because she said the eponymous character reminded her of me. It's one of the best compliments I've ever received. (It's funny how, in the ensuing years, I have unconsciously adopted more of Stargirl's traits.)
There's a line in the book that offhandedly mentions that Iceland has these government-recognized enchanted places. Ever since then, I've wanted to go to Iceland.
And now, I can finally say I've been there. I can say that I got to see the Northern Lights and the light from the Imagine Peace Tower from a boat out in Reykjavik Harbor. I can say that I rode a bus through the no man's land between the North American and European tectonic plates. I can say that I watched a hot spring erupt just before visiting a double-decker waterfall. I can say that I hugged a couple of Icelandic musicians. I can say that I saw 22 bands in 4 days. I can say that I reffed a Roller Derby Iceland practice. I can say that I soaked in the Blue Lagoon. I can say that I rode a fuzzy Icelandic horse in absolutely freezing weather and got to see several of those "enchanted places" while I was at it. I can say that I visited almost every museum in Reykjavik and enjoyed the hell out of all the public sculpture in the city. I can say it was amazing and I'd love to go back.
Just a few of the more fun or picturesque moments:
 |
| The church with the name I couldn't say if my life depended on it. |
 |
| Having a bit of fun at the National Museum of Iceland. |
 |
| View through a window at the National Museum of Iceland. |
 |
| Just a fun fountain. |
 |
| Harpa, the concert hall where we saw a whole lot of bands perform. |
 |
| Reykjavik harbor |
 |
| Lost in Reykjavik, but at least the view was pretty. |
 |
| Fun statue at the sculpture museum. I like that you can see the rainbow faintly in the background. |
 |
| On our way to Thingvellir National Park. |
 |
| Thingvellir National Park |
 |
| Thingvellir National Park |
 |
| Thingvellir National Park |
 |
| Strokkur hot spring erupting |
 |
| Gullfoss waterfall |
 |
| The Blue Lagoon |
 |
| Reykjavik from the top of Perlan |
My favorite art exhibit, and one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip:
No comments:
Post a Comment