Roller derby doesn't particularly interest either of my sisters.
Big Sis Kelly lived in Tennessee when I first got involved with roller derby. When she found out about the broken ankle that earned my name -- and that I intended to come back and put wheels on my feet as soon as a doctor cleared me -- she made me promise I would quit if I ever got another serious injury.
![]() |
| Big Sis Kelly, back in the day. |
Li'l Sis Kelly came with Dad to the game I played in against the Hudson Valley Horrors, and she accompanied me to the championship games of WFTDA Eastern Regionals in 2010 (that's what they were called then).
![]() |
| Lil Sis Kelly came to watch my second game. Hyde Park Roller Magic, 2008. |
Both Sisters Kelly parked in a rather sketchy part of Yonkers to attend a doubleheader I officiated a couple of years ago. (Big Sis says she doesn't think I should officiate there again because of the venue's location.)
And then they both came to watch a doubleheader at home a couple of years ago when they came up to Maine to visit for Labor Day weekend.
My sisters may not totally get the rules or strategies, but they know roller derby is important to me. Their willingness to be there, to support this thing that means so much to me, is one of the most meaningful signs of their love they could give to me. Well, that and when they get in a photo booth with me:
-----
Roller derby has been a huge part of my life for the last decade. My league is trying to buy the rink where I do most of my skating before it goes out on the open market, because a regular buyer would likely repurpose the space. You can read more about the Capital Campaign and make a tax-deductible donation online (every little bit helps!) here.
There's a very short timeline to raise the money the league needs for the down payment. The deadline is 3/7, the day after I turn 37. I see some magic and luck in that. To help do my part, I'm going to write about the tremendous influence derby has had on my life until we hit the deadline.



No comments:
Post a Comment