I'd start with thank you (please tell me I remembered to say thank you at some point between "I'm not much for speechifying" and "Let's have cake" tonight).
Thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate my tenth derbyversary (especially those who traveled quite far). To everyone who wanted to come and couldn't make it. To everyone who has played a part my derby life over the last decade.
Tonight, I got to sprint to FM Belfast's "Par Avion," which I have wanted to do since I first heard the song almost two years ago.
I got to skate around in a rainbow cape (because when someone gifts you a cape, you HAVE TO wear it...and maybe should never take it off).
I got to eat an incredible vegan cake that came decorated WITH A TUTU.
I got to skate with friends who don't always skate and friends who strapped on their skates for the first time in years because they wanted to celebrate with me.
I got to watch Cherry and Chickadee do interpretive dance to a song from Buffy the Vampire Slayer that I have always loved.
And I think I grinned the entire two hours. There were SO MANY hugs and beautiful, thoughtful cards and gifts. And I felt so incredibly loved. (Which I recognize as a blessing and a privilege.)
As I was cleaning up and putting things in my car, I accidentally released the balloons Renee (who was there at the start of my derby adventure) brought. I didn't realize until they were well out of my reach. So I stood there in the cold night air, just watching them float away. There was something truly beautiful in that quiet moment alone in the parking lot at Happy Wheels. It felt like letting go of stuff I hadn't even known I'd been carrying. All that was left was this profound sense of peace and joy. (And, let me tell you, there were times in this past decade that I thought I would never feel either of those things. I recognize that as a blessing and a privilege, too.)
This blessed, privileged, and very tired girl is going to bed feeling incredibly content. Let's do it again in another ten years!
Oh so beautiful Graceless and what a great pary!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats. I just started roller and ice skating again. I started a group called the Hot Rollers and the Blazing Blades. So far 16 members. You are my inspiration.
ReplyDelete