Thursday, November 28, 2013

This strange but beautiful little life

Last night I had one of those dreams that stays with you for a couple days. The kind that exploits every insecurity and fear and makes you wake up feeling small and broken.

Except that today is also the national day of being grateful, and I had dinner plans with a good friend. So, I tried to set aside the feelings of brokenness and smallness and just enjoy small things today (good music for the long drive there and back, incredibly good food and good company, watching parts of some of the early Harry Potter movies while we prepped and ate....).

Any time I feel overwhelmed or sad or lost, I remind myself of this quote from The Cancer Journals by Audre Lorde: "I would never have chosen this path, but I am very glad to be who I am, here."

And it's true. And on this Thanksgiving, I am grateful to feel that way and grateful for all the people and experiences who make me who I am, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment